Image source: Wikipedia
Leyden, Colorado, elevation 5,656 feet (1,724 m) is a small unincorporated community in Jefferson County, Colorado west of Arvada at the junction of West 82nd Avenue and Quaker Street. It is a historic company town established by the Leyden Coal Company in 1902 to house the miners of the Leyden Coal Mine nearby to the west.
The town of Leyden consists of a collection of square frame homes with pyramidal roofs that were originally red trimmed in white. It was named for pioneer miner brothers Michael, Martin and John Leyden, who discovered the original Leyden mine in the hogback ridge to the west, where Michael and Martin died in 1866 and 1870, respectively. At its height, the town of Leyden included these homes as well as the company store, school, boarding house, saloon, and Presbyterian chapel. The store still stands at the southeast corner of 82nd and Quaker, while the school is the easternmost house on the hillside to the north, and the foreman’s house stands next door to its west. The town housed a diverse population of native and immigrant miners, including from such countries as Austria, Hungary, Greece, Germany, Brazil, Italy, Mexico, and more. Major events in its history include the Leyden Mine Disaster in 1910 which claimed 10 lives, and the workers’ strike of 1914.
Leyden ceased to be a company town around 1951 when the mine ceased operation. The town site was sold to investors and then the company town houses were sold to individual homeowners. Leyden has remained an unincorporated community with its own water district ever since. (Source: Wikipedia)